In 1895, members of the Caroline County Sunday School Union implemented a
plan to build and operate a secondary school for Negro children in Caroline
The school, originally named Bowling Green
then Caroline County
Training School and finally Union
High School, served as the only secondary
school for Negro children in Caroline
County from 1903 to 1969.
During this time, thousands of children passed through its doors. Their minds were filled with a wealth of
knowledge from the academic and vocational subjects. Their lives were enriched by caring and
nurturing teachers who took a genuine interest in their development and
encouraged them strive for excellence in all aspects of life. Their confidence was built by a plethora of
extra curricular activities that taught them leadership skills and the value of
teamwork. Their world was expanded with
field trips to educational and cultural events outside their rural community.
The last group of students graduated from Union
High School on June 5, 1969.
At the start of the 1969-1970 school year, both Black and White students
attended the school, when the Caroline
system became integrated.
The Union High building continued to be used as a school for
several years after integration. First, as Bowling Green
Senior High, then as Caroline Middle
was later used for gym glasses by Bowling Green
Primary School and activities for
the county’s park and recreation department.
It was later turned over to the county who renovated the building and
renamed it Caroline County
Center. The building is now the home of the Caroline
Library and other county offices.
Although Union High
School no longer exists, it lives on in the fond
memories of those who were privileged to pass through its doors. Union High alumni, faculty, family, and
friends worked hard to ensure the historical significance of the school is not
forgotten. A committee with
representatives from the five magisterial districts was appointed to decide the
best way to preserve the schools history. The committee decided to purchase a
memorial stone and created a collage to commemorate the historical significance
of Union High school. The committee also successfully petitioned
the board of supervisors to approve adding the words “Formerly Union High
School” to the name on the front of the building. Union High alumni remain connected through
reunions and other social functions.
Money from the reunions is used to endow the George B. Ruffin
Caroline County Community Center formerly Union High